I know it’s summer, but soup is my absolute favorite food and I’ll find an excuse to eat it all year long. Today, it rained. Actually, it stormed like crazy. So that seemed like a pretty good reason to get some soup action going!
Savory Sweet Potato Soup
Ingredients// *can be altered to taste
1 medium sweet potato
2-2.5 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp coconut oil (optional)
1 tsp salt*
1/2 tsp curry powder*
1/2 tsp chili powder*
1/2 tsp cumin*
1/2 tsp smoked paprika*
1. Chop onion and mince garlic.
2. Put onion, garlic and coconut oil in a medium pot and bring to medium heat. “Sweat” the ingredients until the onion becomes translucent.
3. While the other ingredients “sweat,” peel the sweet potato and cut into tiny cubes.
4. Add the sweet potato to the pot and add enough broth to just cover the sweet potato cubes.
5. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium to medium-low heat. Let simmer for 15-2o minutes or until the sweet potato cubes are soft enough to mash. The smaller the cubes, the less time this will take.
6. Add the soup to a food processor (or if you’re fancy, use an immersion blender) and puree. My food processor is super small, so I added one cup at a time, pureeing and then pouring into a separate bowl. I repeated this process until the entire batch was completely pureed.
7. Garnish with a little black pepper and serve hot!
The soup is creamy, rich, and extremely satisfying. And you can use this same method with winter squash!
What is your favorite kind of soup?